Rights of kidney patients
Rights of kidney patients
- Kidney patients (hemodialysis, CAPD, transplant) are entitled to free medical treatment. Hospital care is free when provided in State Hospitals and Contracted Clinics.
- EOPYY covers all hemodialysis expenses, regardless of whether patients receive treatment in a State or Private Artificial Kidney Unit and the social security body they are insured.
- Travel expenses of kidney patients are covered by EOPYY and the supporting documents of all insurance bodies are submitted to the local offices of EOPYY. The amount of the monthly compensation depends on the place of residence and the distance from the Hemodialysis Unit.
- All kidney patients are entitled to a nutritional allowance, which is paid on a case-by-case basis per month or every two months.
- Those indirectly insured, as well as those deprived are also entitled to a welfare allowance by OPEKA.
- Final stage kidney patients directly and indirectly insured (employees and pensioners) with EOPYY are entitled to an annual air therapy allowance, amounting to 200 Euro.
- EOPYY insured kidney patients are entitled to traveling expenses for summer vacations (June, July, August) for up to 2 months (conditionally).
- Kidney patients with a disability percentage of at least 67%, and an annual individual income of no more than €23,000 or an annual family income of €29,000, increased by €5,500 for each disabled child, with a disability percentage of 80%, are entitled to a completely free travel card with all urban public transport. They are also entitled to a 50% reduced ticket on KTEL (public buses), OSE (Hellenic Trains) and the suburban railway.
- Hemodialysis kidney patients are entitled to purchase a car of up to 1600 c.e. duty-free and exempt from road tax.
- All kidney patients have the right to be employed in public utility organizations, banks and other public bodies by tender and at a rate of 5% for Persons with Special Needs. (L. 2643 Article 3 par.1 GG 227/98).
- All kidney patients may access limited traffic zones, if the Unit is located within them.
- All kidney patients with a disability percentage of 80% or more, as of 01/01/2014, are exempt from taxation of income from wages and pensions.
- All kidney patients are admitted to Higher Education and Technological Institutions without exams (L. 2640/98 ΕΚ206Α/3-9-98) and at a rate of 5% per school.
- The children of kidney patients undergoing hemodialysis are entitled to transfer at a rate of 1% to a corresponding school near their place of residence (L. 3283, Volume A, Sheet 208, 1/11/2004).
- Any kidney patients with a disability vehicle are entitled to a parking pass.
- Final stage kidney patients, as well as parents of children with final stage renal failure, who are regular employees or employees with an indefinite-term private law employment relationship of the State, Legal Entities of Public Law and Local Government Bodies, are entitled to reduced working hours by one (1) hour per day. (L. 3731, GG 263 Volume Α 23/12/2008, Article 30/par. 8), as well a vacation leave of twenty two (22) days (L. 3528, Volume Number 26 9/2/2007)
- Final stage kidney patients are exempt from municipal fees (L. 3463 Sheet number 114 Volume Β - 8/6/2006).
- Final stage kidney patients can make use of PPC’s social tariff, conditionally.